Skip to content

WIPP – More news that’s not, that is

2017/01/29

Update – Controlled Release of Information

WIPP still has 10 DOE review items to tackle

During a final review of the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant last month, the Department of Energy team identified 36 findings that required correction at the facility.

Of those, 15 were deemed to be “post-start” findings, meaning they could be addressed after operations resumed at the underground nuclear waste repository.

The other 21 findings that were deemed “pre-start” or dealing with worker safety were resolved before WIPP restarted operations.

Since reopening earlier this month, five of the post-start findings have been corrected at the WIPP site.

“Corrective action plans have been developed for each of the post-start findings and most of the plans are expected to be implemented, validated and closed within the first couple of months of 2017,” said a Department of Energy Carlsbad Field Office spokesperson.

The findings were identified during the Department of Energy’s Operational Readiness Review that was completed in December 2016.

The post-start findings covered a variety of operations at WIPP, including engineering, management, maintenance, training and operations.

Ed Westbrook, who led the review team, said at the December Town Hall meeting that most of the findings, both pre-start and post-start, were isolated issues.

“None of these are programmatic,” he said. “In the grand scheme of things, it’s not a trend. It’s not indicative of a bigger problem.”

Pre-start findings are issues that could affect worker safety, Westbrook said.

The Carlsbad Field Office spokesperson said they are working to obtain more spare parts for the interim and underground ventilation systems, provide training to certain employees and hire additional qualified personnel, all of which were highlighted by the review team.

Six of the post-start findings were found to pertain to the Department of Energy and its Carlsbad Field Office.

Many of those were of an administrative nature, involving the processes involved in tracking identified issues at the facility.

Westbrook said his team also found that Department of Energy headquarters had not closed out all Judgments of Need identified after the radiological incident and underground fire that closed the facility for nearly three years.

The Carlsbad Field Office spokesperson said there are no deadlines associated with closing out the post-start findings.

“Although there is no predetermined time limit on closure of post-start findings, CBFO and NWP (Nuclear Waste Partnership) are working expeditiously to close these items as soon as possible,” they said.

[Byline Maddy Hayden]

26 January 2017
Carlsbad Current-Argus


Flashback – 2014/05/28

Nuclear Event/Radiation Hazard: Radioactive HAZMAT Incident USA 

Wednesday, 28 May 2014 at 03:29 UTC.
State of New Mexico, Carlsbad, Waste Isolation Pilot Plant
Location: 32°22’18.0″N 103°47’37.0″W

Time bombs may be ticking at the United States’ only deep geological repository for nuclear waste. US authorities concluded last week that at least 368 drums of waste at the site could be susceptible to the chemical reaction suspected to have caused a drum to rupture there in February. That accident caused radioactive material to spill into the repository and leak into the environment above ground. The Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP) near Carlsbad, New Mexico, is mined out of a salt bed 655 meters underground, and stores low- and medium-level military nuclear waste, containing long-lived, man-made radioactive elements such as plutonium and americium.

The suspect drums contain nitrates and cellulose, which are thought to have reacted to cause the explosion in February, and are located in two of the repository’s eight vast storage rooms – 313 in panel 6, which has already been filled, and 55 in the partly filled panel 7, where the February accident occurred. To mitigate the threat of further exploding drums, the New Mexico Environment Department (NMED) in Santa Fe issued an order on 20 May giving the US Department of Energy (DOE) and the Nuclear Waste Partnership – the contractor that operates the WIPP site – until 30 May to come up with a plan to “expedite” the sealing of panel 6 and part of panel 7.

It is not yet clear when the panels will be sealed, as that will depend on how long it takes to ensure that the sealing is done safely, says Jim Winchester, a spokesman for the NMED. The order was issued after an inspection team found evidence on 16 May of heat and physical damage to a waste drum in panel 7.  The drum was one of a batch from the Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) in New Mexico that contained a mix of nitrate salts – generated, for example, in the recovery of plutonium from metal and other scrap during waste processing – and cellulose in the form of a wheat-based commercial cat litter used to absorb liquid waste.

The DOE believes a reaction between the nitrates and cellulose blew the lid off of the container. But this explanation has yet to be proven, Winchester cautions. “It is not yet known how, or if, the reaction created the rupture in the drum(s),” he says. The LANL last year switched the processing of some of its waste to the wheat-based litter from an inorganic, clay-based absorbent.

Winchester says that such changes need to first be assessed for safety, but the NMED was not informed of the change and so did not approve it. The WIPP has come under fire since the accident for progressively watering down safety standards and allowing a lax security culture to develop. In addition to the drums at the WIPP, another 57 containing the suspect mix are still in temporary storage at the LANL.

On 19 May, the NMED told the DOE and the LANL that they had two days to present a plan to secure the drums. In their response on 21 May, the LANL and the DOE said that the drums were being transferred to a tent fitted with fire-control and high-efficiency particulate air filtration to contain any radioactive particles in the event of an accident. They added that air radiation levels and the temperature of the drums were being monitored, and that the drums were being inspected hourly for signs of rupture.

The WIPP has been closed since the February accident and will reopen only “when it is safe to do so”, according to a 22 May statement from the DOE. The accident is still under investigation, and parts of the underground repository are still contaminated with radioactivity. The DOE added that current assumptions and precautions about the hazards of operating the WIPP are being “evaluated and revised”.

RSOE EDIS (Edited)

Advertisements
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s